Laachroui and Achab kings of the leightweights in Europe
20 May 2016
Belgium rules! After two days of taekwondo at the European Championships in Montreux Belgium is hot. Thursday Mourad Laachroui won gold in the category -54 and a day later Jaouad Achab won the gold in the category -63. Raheleh Asemani won the bronze medal in -57.
Team Belgium won it’s first medal on the first day of the European Championships in Montreux. Mourad Laachroui (WR-5) topped the -54 category after beating Dimitrov from Moldavia with 4-3 and crushing Canales Torres of Spain with 12-3. Laachroui kept going on against Denisov (Rusland) in the semis by winning 7-5. Jesus Tortosa Cabrera (WR-8) was the opponent in the final. Mourad dominated the final and won 6-3. First day, first medal for the Belgian Taekwondo Federation!
King of 63
Current European and World Champion Jaouad Achab dominated his category as a true king of 63. Winning 11-7 against Gamzatov (Russia), 1-0 against Irgaliev (Russia), 7-2 against Barclais (France). The final was dominated by Achab: 8-2!
Results other BTF-athletes:
- Si Mohamed Ketbi (-58) withdrawal, due to injury.
- Salaheddine Bensalah (-58) won against Guliyev (Azerbeidzjan) 13-9. Loss against Poiseev in the quarterfinals by penalty.
- Maryam Ismaili (-46) lost against Maddalena Tortorella (Italy) 0-1 in the first round
- Raheleh Asemani (-57) Bronze after losing in the semis to Glasnovic (4-5)
- Benoit Hannart (-68) Elimination in the first round.